Safety Planning

ALWAYS REMEMBER: One has the right NOT to be abused in a relationship, physically, emotionally or sexually!

Safety when preparing to leave

  • Identify who would let them stay with them or lend them some money
  • Always try to take their children with them or make arrangements to leave them with someone safe
  • Leave money and an extra set of keys, copies of important documents, and extra clothes with someone they trust
  • Open a savings account in their own name to start to establish or increase their independence.  Think of other ways in which they can increase their independence
  • Keep the shelter numbers close at hand
  • Review their safety plan with a friend or counselor in order to plan the safest way to leave the batterer
  • Statistics show that women are at increased risk for further violence at time of separation, therefore it is recommended the person leaving not share their plans with the abusive partner

One's Safety & Emotional Health

  • If they are thinking of returning to a potentially abusive situation, discuss an alternative plan with someone they trust
  • If they have to communicate with their partner, determine the safest way to do so
  • Have positive thoughts about themselves and be assertive with others about their needs
  • Plan to attend a support group to gain support from others and learn about the law and their rights
  • Decide who they can call freely and openly to give them the support they need
  • Read books, articles and poetry to help feel stronger
  • Collect resources and pamphlets concerning Woman Abuse

Checklist - What they want to take when they leave

  • Identification
  • Driver's Licences, car title and registration
  • Children's birth certificates
  • Their birth and marriage certificates
  • Money
  • Peace Bond
  • Lease, rental agreement, house deed
  • Bank books/checkbooks
  • Insurance papers
  • House and car keys
  • Medications
  • Address book, pictures
  • Medical records for all family members
  • Social Insurance cards
  • Social Assistance identification (if applicable)
  • School records
  • Work permits
  • Immigrations papers, passport
  • Divorce papers
  • Jewelry, Children's small toys


Source: Central Alberta Child and Family Services Authority (CFSA)